Loire Valley Bike Tour
- Region: France
- Destination: Loire
- Duration: 6 Days / 5 Nights
- Level: Occasional
- Price From: $4795
- Single Supplement: $900
|Sep 20 - Sep 25, 2015||$5195||Call to book|
|May 15 - May 20, 2016||$4795||Book Now|
|May 29 - Jun 3, 2016||$4795||Book Now|
|Jun 5 - Jun 10, 2016||$4795||Book Now|
|Jun 26 - Jul 1, 2016||$4795||Book Now|
- France’s fertile, châteaux-studded central region
- Known for: majestic châteaux, lush, fertile valleys, abundant vineyards and orchards, and troglodyte wine cellars
- Eat: fresh river fish, local asparagus, vibrant produce, wild mushrooms, and foie gras
- Drink: dry, semi-sweet, and sweet wines, like Vouvray and Montlouis-sur-Loire, made from the incredibly versatile Chenin blanc grape, a true lesson in terroir
- Cycling through the famous Vouvray vineyards offering a variety of fabulous chenin based wines. Taste them yourself and decide if you prefer sec, demi-sec, moelleux or sparkling.
- Visiting the Clos Lucé, where da Vinci spent the final years of his life and which now houses replicas of his war machines and some of his sketches and letters
- Exploring Château de Villandry, one of the last Renaissance style châteaux built in the Loire Valley, and its wondrous gardens and mazes
- Visiting the Chateau de Langeais and learning all about the secret Royal weeding between Charles VIII and Anne de Bretagne
- Wandering the halls and gardens of the impressive Chateau de Chenonceau and learning all about the rivalry between King Henry II’s mistress, Diane de Potiers and Queen Catherine de Medici
We include more on our trips than any other bike tour company in an effort to provide our guests with the most unforgettable, stress-free travel experience.
- Stunning, world-class accommodations
- Top of the line bicycle selection
- Daily breakfasts, all lunches, four gourmet dinners, Après Velo cocktails, and nutritious snacks
- Carefully selected local wines with every delicious meal
- Expert guides with extensive local knowledge, who go above and beyond to cater to your every need
- Complete van support every mile of the way to enjoy your vacation at your own pace
- Group sizes that don’t exceed 14 guests on a scheduled departure
- Wine tastings, and cooking classes as outlined in the itinerary
- Entrance fees to historic sites, fascinating museums, and scenic natural parks
- Pick up and drop off before and after your tour from convenient locations
- Gratuities for baggage, porters, and hotel service
- Pre- and post-travel planning assistance
- Upgrade to Concierge Travel Planning (learn more)
- Complimentary DuVine gear, including a custom cycling jersey, DuVine t-shirt, water bottle, and drawstring bag
DuVine strives to consistently amaze, surprise, and delight. For this reason, each itinerary may be subject to slight modifications. Contact us to speak with a destination specialist for the most up to date tour inclusions.
- Gratuities for DuVine bike tour guides (learn more)
Traveling to France this autumn or looking for some French cooking inspiration? Check out our list of the Freshest French Foods in the Fall.
Dozens of DuVine bike tours include castle visits, so we’ve assembled this list of our guides’ favorite castles in Europe.
Private bike tours are more popular than ever and we’ve put together our top 10 private departures to spur your inspiration.
Hop off your bike and experience French history, right under your feet.
Guide Tommy Pace explain the magic that awaits you in the Loire Valley.
The Loire lives up to its reputation as being the valley of dreams for Brice Feillu and today was a dream realized.
Cycle through a land of enchantment, with regal châteaux dotting the countryside at every turn on the Loire Valley Bike Tour. Wander quiet roads amongst acres of fertile land and orchards of fresh fruit. Step back into the Renaissance and a time of kings and queens. Exploring the Loire Valley on a bike tour brings you face-to-face with this magical region, into its subterranean troglodyte cellars, enchanting châteaux, and medieval villages. Indulge in local delicacies like foie gras in Amboise, eat straight from the garden at Château de Villandry, and taste fascinating wines in Vouvray. We’ll feel like royalty ourselves.
Tour by Day
Day One: Welcome to the Loire Valley
Your guides will greet you at either the Tours Center or St Pierre des Corps train station and whisk you away to the nearby Chateau Villandry, where our adventure begins. Toast our arrival with a light lunch and the region’s sparkling wine. This chateau, erected around 1536, and is the last of the large Renaissance châteaux built in the Loire Valley. Wander its extraordinary mazes and elegant water garden, as well as the aromatic herb gardens. We’ll be treated to the unique flavors of ice cream inspired by the garden before cycling to Montbazon and our first luxurious accommodation. We’ll set off on a gently rolling ride along the famous Loire River and past many fields demonstrating why this region is the breadbasket of France. Arrive at our beautiful hotel, hidden away in the woods above the Cher River. Tonight we dine amidst stunning valley views, prepared by the Château’s own chef.
Meals: Light Lunch / Dinner
Destinations: Tours, Château de Villandry, Savonnieres, Ballan-Mire, Veigne
Accomplished: 19 miles / 31 km, elevation gain: 208 meters
Accommodations: Domaine de la Tortinière or Château d’Artigny
Day Two: Chateau de Langeais + Anne de Bretagne
After a nourishing breakfast, we’ll take a short transfer to the village of Artannes where we will begin our ride. Passing through Azay-le-Rideau, a charming village with it’s own Château over the Indre River, we will continue through the countryside towards the Medieval castle and town of Langeais. We will enjoy a delicious brasserie lunch in town before discovering this stunning castle seeped in history. After our visit, we will cross back over the Loire River and make our way east on a quiet bike path. Tonight we dine close to our chateau, in the leafy surroundings of a water mill converted into an excellent restaurant.
Meals: Breakfast / Lunch/ Dinner
Destinations: Artannes-sur-Indre, Azay-le-Rideau, Lignières-de-Touraine, Bréhémont, Langeais, Villandry, Druye
Accomplished: 32 miles / 52 km, elevation gain: 330 meters
Day Three: Back to the Renaissance at Chenonceau
Cycle the beautiful route to Château de Chenonceau! Stop for an educational wine-tasting picnic lunch at our favorite family-run producer in Chenonceau. After this energizing lunch, it’s time for a tour of the castle at Chenonceau and its dueling gardens of Diane de Poitiers and Catherine de Medici. Chenonceau is home to a vast collection of Renaissance furniture and sixteenth- and seventeenth-century tapestries and artwork. After the visit we’ll hop back on the bikes and head towards our next accommodation in Amboise. Take a dip in the pool to cool off before we enjoy a meal altogether in the center of Amboise.
Meals: Breakfast / Picnic lunch / Dinner
Destinations: Cormery, Veigné, Chenonceaux, Amboise
Accomplished: 32 miles / 51 km, elevation gain: 398 meters
Accommodations: Le Manoir Saint Thomas
Day Four: Vouvray Loop
Today’s ride along the scenic, rolling hills amidst the vineyards of the delightfully versatile Chenin Blanc grapes. We’ll break for a gourmet picnic in the gardens of the stunning Chateau de Jallanges. Then just down the road, we’ll take a tour in the vineyards of Vouvray and enjoy a tasting in our favorite producer’s own troglodyte cellars. This afternoon we’ll take a relaxing ride back towards the river and along our favorite tree shaded bike path next to the Loire on the way back to Amboise. This evening you are free enjoy some shopping and exploration of this most charming riverside town as you choose your perfect restaurant for your own dinner tonight.
Meals: Breakfast / Picnic Lunch
Destinations: Vouvray, Chançay, Vernou sur Brenne, Amboise
Accomplished: 36 miles / 58 km, elevation gain: 467 meters
Accommodations: Le Manoir Saint Thomas
Day Five: Amboise Through da Vinci’s Eyes
We’ll start the morning with an informative and exciting visit to the once home of Leonardo da Vinci, Le Clos Lucé. He is said to have arrived holding the Mona Lisa and spent the final years of his life in this magical estate. Enjoy a traditional crepe lunch in Amboise. Then it’s time to hit the bikes and cycle through the towns of Pocé-sur-Cisse and Limeray, a panorama of rich farmland. Tonight we’ll enjoy a final and unforgettable, 2 Michelin starred dinner at our elegant countryside property. Bon appetite!
Meals: Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner
Destinations: Amboise, Pocé-sur-Cisse, Saint Ouen les Vignes, Mesland, Onzain
Accomplished: 15 miles / 24 km, elevation gain: 203 meters (optional extra ride of 16 km)
Accommodations: Domaine des Hauts de Loire
Day Six: Au Revoir
Enjoy a peaceful breakfast at the château and perhaps a stroll through the grounds, saying goodbye to the Loire Valley however you see fit. Your guides see you off at the Blois train station.